Thread lift – what it is, cost and treatments near you
Thread lifts are fast growing in popularity amongst those who want to treat wrinkles and tighten the skin on their face. Quicker and less invasive than a traditional facelift, thread lifts are a non-surgical procedure that offer a reduced recovery time compared to anti-ageing facial operations, while delivering similar results.
But what exactly is involved in the procedure, how much does it cost, and is it right for you?
Find a clinic or practitioner near you and enjoy a risk-free booking process thanks to free in-clinic consultations and the option to pay in-clinic. Also, you can now split the cost of your treatment into four equal, interest-free instalments using Tabby.
In this article:
Duration of results
1 to 3 years
Back to work
1 day to 1 week
Full recovery time
2 to 4 weeks
What is a thread lift?
A thread lift involves several dissolvable PDO threads being inserted into the face using a needle. It’s a more invasive anti-ageing treatment than either Botox or fillers, but less so than a facelift.
Before your treatment begins, you’ll be given local anaesthetic, so you won’t feel any pain. Once the threads are inserted with a fine needle from your temple to your jaw, they are tightened and pulled back, helping to lift the skin up. The procedure aims to give immediate results and to kickstart collagen production, meaning results are long-lasting.
Different threads produce different kinds of results. Polydioxanone or polylactic acid-based threads are the more common option and both these materials are harmless – eventually being absorbed by the body after a few months.
What is goldthread lifting?
Goldthread lifting is a similar clinical process to the other types of thread lifts mentioned above. The difference is the material used. As the name suggests, goldthread lifting uses gold filaments for longer-lasting results, with results lasting for up to three years.
How does a thread face lift work?
The science behind it
Thread lifts use sutures to effectively lift loose skin, tightening it and stitching it back in its new position.
The cuts caused by the stitches promote the production of collagen in the skin – the body’s natural healing process – and the skin is repaired in its new position.
Collagen promotes healthier, supple skin. So, a thread lift will not only tighten loose facial skin but will also give you a fuller look.
The threads are placed parallel to your natural ligaments which weaken as we age, therefore using threads will lift along those lines which will reset your thoughtful look instantly.
Before the treatment
Prepare for your thread face lift by following the below steps:
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol for a week before the treatment.
- Avoid eating oily fish, seafood, chili, and ginseng (including supplements) as these can also affect the skin in the lead-up to your treatment.
- Drink lots of water to ensure your skin is well hydrated.
During the treatment
Thread lift procedures can take around 45 minutes to complete. Here’s what to expect from your treatment:
- Lidocaine, or a similar local anaesthetic, will be injected into the treatment area to reduce any pain from the procedure.
- Needles are then inserted into your face, usually lined from the temple to the chin. These are usually around 10mm long and fine. Then, a thin thread material is passed through the needles, ready to lift the skin.
- The thread is then pulled back tighter for a smoother appearance.
- The threads are then tied off – much like if you were having a wound stitched together for healing.
- Afterwards, the threads will slowly dissolve into your bloodstream and promote the production of collagen, healing your skin in its new place.
Threads need 10 days to find their new position with adhesions and it is very important to take good care of them during this period.
This can include:
- No singing or stretching of the face.
- Minimizing friction especially when sleeping.
- Not eating hard or difficult to chew food, essentially adapting to a soft diet during this period.
- Lightly icing the area four to five times a day if there is any painful bruising.
- Avoiding makeup and moisturisers for at least 48 hours.
- You may take light pain-relief, such as ibuprofen.
After this 10-day period the doctor may review with you to adjust to your new aesthetic goals but continue to:
- Avoid facial scrubs or other exfoliants for up to three weeks.
- Avoid intense exercise for up to three weeks.
Thread lift cost – and other things you need to know
How much does a thread lift cost?
The approximate cost of a treatment is 8,000 AED in UAE, but total costs will vary depending on your chosen clinic and the experience of your practitioner.
How can I find a thread lift near me?
Use our local listings tool to find practitioners offering the procedure in your area.
Is it permanent?
No, thread lifts are not permanent – but the effects of simulated collagen production can last for up to three years. Facelifts can last for up to 10 years, but typically come at a greater cost – and with a longer recovery time.
Thread lift facts
- Thread face lifts are also known as ‘lunchtime facelifts’ because they can be completed quickly.
- PDO threads have been used medically for centuries, from suturing wounds to corrective surgery for some gynaecological disorders – using them for a facelift is only a recent advancement.
- There are many different types of threads available. The difference is down to how the thin wires thread together – some knot, some are barbed, while others lock together.
*Terms and conditions: The gift card should be used before the end of the card validity period (which shall occur 12 months counted as from the date of purchase). Upon the expiry date, the gift card will become invalid for use. The gift card can be used for any treatment including special offers and with any clinic listed on selfologi.com. If the value of the treatment is less than the gift card value you will loose the remaining balance. The gift card cannot be spread across multiple bookings, cannot be combined with other promo codes, and cannot be redeemed for cash.