RF microneedling – the devices and procedure explained
Radiofrequency or RF microneedling is an enhanced form of traditional microneedling that targets acne scars, blemishes, fine lines, and loose skin. The treatment is designed to leave you with fresher, clearer skin.
Plenty of social media hype surrounds the procedure – especially as an alternative to laser treatments. But how do you know if it’s right for you?
Find a clinic or practitioner near you and enjoy a risk-free booking process thanks to free in-clinic consultations and the option to pay in-clinic. Also, you can now split the cost of your treatment into four equal, interest-free instalments using Tabby.
In this article:
3 to 4 sessions
Duration of results
6 months plus
Back to work
Full recovery time
1,200 AED to 1,500 AED
20 minutes to 1 hour
What is RF microneedling?
RF microneedling is a minimally invasive cosmetic treatment that helps rejuvenate your skin.
With traditional microneedling, needles create microdamage to the skin and trigger a wound healing response which kickstarts the collagen production and leads to fresh new skin coming through. Microneedling with RF uses radiofrequency to enhance the microdamage, and the healing response, without the need for lasers.
It’s considered less harsh for your skin than traditional laser treatments as it works at a much lower temperature. This means less chance of any temporary darkening or bruising of the skin which can sometimes happen with laser.
Treatment and benefits
Take a look at radiofrequency microneedling in action to see how this combo strengthens and rejuvenates skin.
From treatment to results, this is everything you need to know before your first session.
How does the RF microneedling procedure work?
The science behind it
During the RF microneedling procedure, a clinician uses a fine needle device (ranging from 0.5 to 2.5mm) to penetrate your skin in the designated area, creating microchannels.
Waves of radiofrequency are then released into the microchannels, heating up underlying tissue and breaking down scar tissue or loose skin. The skin constricts, tightens, and is forced into producing more collagen and elastin – creating a healthier appearance.
Before the treatment
At a consultation you can discuss the procedure in more detail, including the recovery time, potential side-effects and whether it’s right for your skin.
During the treatment
- Your clinician will cleanse your skin and apply a topical anaesthetic.
- RF microneedles are then applied to your skin. This part can be uncomfortable – especially if you have sensitive skin.
- The procedure can take between 20 minutes and one hour.
Once your treatment has been applied, your skin may be red and tender for a while – sometimes up to five days. There shouldn’t be any downtime though. Your clinician will likely recommend a skin care regimen, including moisturisers and sunscreen, to help your recovery.
What are the results of a RF microneedling procedure? Plus, everything else you need to know
What different devices are available?
There are a range of different RF microneedling devices that may be used, which vary in their intensity.
- If you have severe lines or scarring clinicians usually recommend that procedures are carried out by devices such as Morpheus 8, Profound and Venus Viva. These powerful devices provide long-lasting results but may have a longer recovery time.
- Lighter versions include Vivace, EndyMed and Secret. These are known for being gentle on the skin but may require more sessions to see the desired results.
What are the results of RF microneedling?
Within a month of your procedure, you should notice you can apply lotions and makeup more smoothly than before. However, it can take longer to see tighter, firmer skin – often up to several months. You may need three to four treatments, spaced four to six weeks apart, to get the best results.
What are the side-effects of RF microneedling?
You may experience blistering, swelling, infection and unwanted changes to your skin’s colouring. The therapy can also exacerbate existing skin infections such as cold sores.
How much does RF microneedling cost?
RF microneedling costs can vary depending on the nature of the skin problem, but generally cost between Dhs1,200 and Dhs1,500.
How can I find RF microneedling procedures near me?
You will find approved practices with strong reviews and the right credentials on our local listings pages.
If you’re unsure about RF microneedling, there are a few possible alternatives you could try:
- VelaShape – This laser and vacuum therapy can be used to tone, tighten, and smooth out areas of loose skin. It’s a non-invasive and painless procedure but can take several sessions to get results. Prices can start at around Dhs500 per session.
- Mesotherapy – Mesotherapy injects nutrients, enzymes, and antioxidants to tighten the skin and alleviate skin conditions like acne. You’ll probably need at least four sessions, and prices can start at Dhs500.
- Botox – Botox is another common method used to fight signs of ageing, as it is used to tighten up facial wrinkles. A Botox unit can start at up at around Dhs42, but you may need up to 20 units for your target area. It’s a non-permanent solution, so you’ll need repeat treatments.
- CO2 laser skin resurfacing – CO2 laser skin resurfacing is a surgical procedure that renews and tightens the skin. A laser removes the outer layers of skin, while stimulating the underlying skin to create collagen. Prices start at around Dhs1,000.
*Terms and conditions: The gift card should be used before the end of the card validity period (which shall occur 12 months counted as from the date of purchase). Upon the expiry date, the gift card will become invalid for use. The gift card can be used for any treatment including special offers and with any clinic listed on selfologi.com. If the value of the treatment is less than the gift card value you will loose the remaining balance. The gift card cannot be spread across multiple bookings, cannot be combined with other promo codes, and cannot be redeemed for cash.