Platysmaplasty – everything you need to know about neck lift surgery
When it comes to skincare and SPF, we often forget about our necks, making them one of the first parts of the body to show the signs of ageing.
When our collagen levels start to decrease, the skin and connective tissues around our neck muscle – or platysma – thin and lose elasticity.
This can give the appearance of a saggy neck or jowls – where there is little definition between your neck and jawline. Platysmaplasty is a treatment that helps reduce the excess skin.
But what does the treatment involve, and is it right for you?
Find a clinic or practitioner near you and enjoy a risk-free booking process thanks to free in-clinic consultations and the option to pay in-clinic. Also, you can now split the cost of your treatment into four equal, interest-free instalments using Tabby.
In this article:
Duration of results
10 to 15 years
Back to work
5 to 10 days
Full recovery time
Around 2 weeks
18,000 AED to 28,000 AED
2 to 3 hours
What is a platysmaplasty?
Platysmaplasty is a type of neck lift surgery that removes or alters the thin layers of muscle that run down either side of the neck. The treatment targets the weakest point of the platysma neck muscles, located under the chin.
It is usually performed as part of a larger neck lift or facelift procedure, alongside other treatments, such as:
- Cervicoplasty – a neck lift that removes excess skin.
- Chin augmentation – uses implants to sculpt the chin.
- Rhinoplasty – more commonly known as a nose job.
- Laser skin resurfacing – smooths and evens out skin texture.
- Liposuction – gets rid of excess fat.
- Botox – helps reshape areas for a fuller appearance.
How does platysmaplasty work?
Before the treatment
During a consultation, your practitioner will look at your medical history and talk you through the surgery, including potential side-effects and any aftercare measures you might need in place.
If you’re taking any anti-inflammatory or blood-thinning medications – such as aspirin or herbal supplements – you should stop taking them in the run-up to the surgery.
During the treatment
On the day of your platysmaplasty, you can expect the following:
- You’ll be placed under general anaesthetic.
- The surgeon will make an incision under your chin.
- Excess fat is then removed, using a technique such as liposuction.
- Once the platysma muscles are exposed, your doctor can fit them back together with surgical sutures.
- Your wounds can then be stitched up and dressed.
The full procedure usually lasts around three hours.
Once the surgery is complete, your doctor will usually apply a compression garment around your head and under your chin to keep the treatment area secure and reduce any swelling. You can remove this dressing yourself after 24 hours.
You may experience some initial discomfort in your neck area as the anaesthetic wears off, along with a little swelling and bruising over the first few days. Just make sure you follow your doctor’s guidance. This might include:
- Keeping your head upright.
- Avoiding strenuous activity and heavy lifting.
- Making sure any wounds stay dry.
- Being careful when pulling on clothing over your head.
You should feel able to return to work after one or two weeks. It should then take a further few months for your full results to show. Talk to your doctor immediately if you have any concerns during the healing process.
How much is platysmaplasty? Plus, other things you need to know
How much does platysmaplasty cost?
It costs between Dhs18,000 and Dhs28,000.
Is platysmaplasty permanent?
No, it is not a permanent solution. But it can slow the effects of ageing around your neck and help you maintain a sharper jawline for longer. Many patients see their results last between 10 and 15 years.
How can I find platysmaplasty near me?
Use our local listings to find recommended clinics in your area.
If you’re not sure whether platysmaplasty is right for you, there are several other options that might be more suitable, including:
- CoolSculpting or CoolTech – this non-invasive procedure uses cryolipolysis to freeze and destroy the fat cells around your jowl area. This can be an affordable way to improve the appearance of a double chin, without any recovery time.
- Thermage – another non-invasive alternative, Thermage is a skin tightening treatment, which uses radiofrequency technology to smooth out any fine lines and contour your jawline.
- Neck fillers – hyaluronic acid fillers fill in fine lines and smooth out any wrinkles on your neck for a softer, more youthful appearance.
Use our clinic locator to book your treatment – and choose between paying online, paying in-clinic, or splitting payments into four equal instalments with Tabby.
*Terms and conditions: The gift card should be used before the end of the card validity period (which shall occur 12 months counted as from the date of purchase). Upon the expiry date, the gift card will become invalid for use. The gift card can be used for any treatment including special offers and with any clinic listed on selfologi.com. If the value of the treatment is less than the gift card value you will loose the remaining balance. The gift card cannot be spread across multiple bookings, cannot be combined with other promo codes, and cannot be redeemed for cash.