Thermage – how it works
A non-invasive radiofrequency treatment with zero downtime, Thermage aims to rejuvenate the skin on both the face and body. Whether you want to reduce the appearance of cellulite or refresh the skin on your face, Thermage can help.
So, how does Thermage treatment work and, most importantly, is it right for you?
Find a clinic or practitioner near you and enjoy a risk-free booking process thanks to free in-clinic consultations and the option to pay in-clinic. Also, you can now split the cost of your treatment into four equal, interest-free instalments using Tabby.
In this article:
Duration of results
Up to two years (top ups required)
Back to work
Full recovery time
No recovery time needed
30 minutes to an hour per session
Slight stinging sensation
What is Thermage?
Thermage is the brand name for a non-surgical, non-invasive treatment designed to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, tighten skin, and leave it feeling supple. It uses radiofrequency to promote collagen production, which can result in a more radiant appearance.
While it’s mainly used as a non-surgical alternative for those who don’t yet want a facelift, but want more than injectables, you can also use Thermage treatments to contour the abdomen, neck, and thighs.
How does Thermage treatment work?
The science behind it
Thermage uses radiofrequency energy to penetrate and heat up the dermis, the upper layer of skin, encouraging collagen production, cell turnover and elasticity. This results in supple and tightened skin with noticeably fewer wrinkles.
Before the treatment
As this is a non-surgical procedure, you don’t need to do much preparation. Arrive at the clinic with a clean, makeup-free face and avoid using facial peels in the two weeks before the treatment. You should also ensure you’re well hydrated, drinking plentiful amounts of water in the run up to treatment.
During the treatment
Thermage treatment is painless and quick, taking around 30 minutes to an hour on average. Larger areas of skin, such as the abdomen, may take up to two hours.
Your clinician will start by wiping the skin clean, removing any excess oil or dirt. Then, a hand-held device will send radio frequencies into the dermis. You may feel a hot or slight stinging sensation, but Thermage isn’t painful or overly uncomfortable.
There is no downtime or healing period required after Thermage treatments, although your skin may feel flushed for an hour or so afterwards. Your skin may also feel more sensitive, but this will return to normal after 24-hours.
The risk of harmful side-effects is minimal if you choose a trustworthy practitioner. If you notice burns, blisters, or scabbing forming, get in touch with your doctor.
How much does Thermage cost? Plus, other things you need to know
How much does Thermage cost?
The cost of Thermage varies depending on the size of the treatment area, as well as the location of the clinic. On average, it costs around Dhs7,345 in UAE.
Is Thermage permanent?
While it isn’t permanent, Thermage is incredibly long-lasting. Many patients see results up to two years after treatment, only requiring a top-up appointment after this time.
Only one session is required, but you should note that it takes around three to four months to see the final results. Changes are gradual as you must allow time for the collagen to produce and healthy skin cells to regenerate.
How can I find Thermage treatments near me?
Find a trained clinician that suits your needs for Thermage treatments using our clinic locator.
If you’re unsure if facial Thermage is for you, there are several alternative treatments available:
- Botox – Botox lasts for an average of three to four months, and it’s usually less expensive than facial Thermage. It can achieve a youthful appearance via a series of injections into the micro-muscles. But you do need regular top ups to maintain the look.
- Fillers – these last around six months to a year and are great for plumping the skin. Hyaluronic acid is injected into the chosen area to add volume.
- Laser therapies – just as the name suggests, this treatment uses lasers to cause trauma to the skin. This, in turn, promotes cell regeneration and healthier, smooth skin.
- Chemical peels – chemical peels safely remove the top layer of the skin. Once healed, the skin should be softer, and any irregularities should be reduced. It is slightly more uncomfortable than Thermage and causes swollen, red skin for a few days following treatment.
- HIFU (high intensity focused ultrasound) – this non-invasive treatment uses acoustic energy to tighten skin on the face, reduce wrinkles and fine lines. The treatment encourages collagen to be produced that tightens and brightens skin and can also be used on other areas of the body.
*Terms and conditions: The gift card should be used before the end of the card validity period (which shall occur 12 months counted as from the date of purchase). Upon the expiry date, the gift card will become invalid for use. The gift card can be used for any treatment including special offers and with any clinic listed on selfologi.com. If the value of the treatment is less than the gift card value you will loose the remaining balance. The gift card cannot be spread across multiple bookings, cannot be combined with other promo codes, and cannot be redeemed for cash.