Double chin removal - surgery procedure and costs
Many of us develop a double chin at some stage in our lives. Stubborn fat, thinner skin and weight fluctuations can all contribute.
But if you want to reduce the appearance of yours, there are various double chin removal and surgery options available. Neck lifts in particular saw a major spike in popularity, with 160,000 people having one in the USA alone in 2020.
So, what’s the best option for you?
Find a clinic or practitioner near you and enjoy a risk-free booking process thanks to free in-clinic consultations and the option to pay in-clinic. Also, you can now split the cost of your treatment into four equal, interest-free instalments using Tabby.
In this article:
What is double chin surgery?
Double chin removal surgery refers to several separate procedures.
The general gist is to either remove fat, contour muscle, or tighten the skin under the chin - or a combination of any of these.
The main four surgical options include:
- Chin tuck (submentoplasty) – a surgery on the upper neck and under the chin, tightening muscles and removing fat.
- Liposuction – the removal of fat from beneath the skin.
- Facelift – the tightening of loose skin and the removal of fat around the chin and neck.
- Neck lift – a more specific targeting of skin and muscles in the neck.
How does double chin removal work?
You can expect different results, side-effects, and aftercare from your double chin removal procedure, depending on which you choose. Generally, however, you’ll likely experience the following:
Before the treatment
As always, find a qualified, approved clinician with selfologi’s listings. Use your consultation to ask questions, confirm costs and discuss your expectations of the results.
During the treatment
Your face will be marked up and you’ll be given a general or local anaesthetic, depending on the procedure you’re having, all of which last one to two hours.
- For a chin tuck, your clinician will make a series of incisions to the neck. They’ll then perform liposuction, tighten the platysma muscles and contour fat deposits.
- In liposuction, your clinician will insert a small tube called a cannula into different areas of the chin. Suction is used to gently remove fat from each area.
- During a neck lift and facelift, your clinician will make a wider set of incisions across the neck and behind the ear. They then raise and reposition certain areas of skin.
You can expect some discomfort, tightness, swelling and soreness. Chin liposuction should heal after a few days. For neck and face lifts, expect a few weeks off work.
Double chin surgery costs – plus other things you need to know
The cost of your double chin surgery will vary depending on your procedure. As a rough guide:
- A neck lift should cost around 25,500 AED. Combined with a facelift, this can rise to around 50,000 AED.
- Liposuction should cost around 15,000 AED.
- A chin tuck costs between 5,000 AED and 25,000 AED.
Find a treatment near you with our clinic locator.
Are the results permanent?
The results of double chin removal surgery are long-lasting but not permanent. A neck or face lift can last up to 15 years. A liposuction procedure can last between seven to 10 years. A chin tuck normally lasts 10 to 15 years.
Browse clinics for double chin removal surgery
If you are not sure whether surgery is right for you, there are a range of alternative methods you can try.
- Kybella – in this FDA-approved intervention, your clinician will administer a shot of synthetic ‘stomach acid’, said to dissolve the membranes that line our fat cells. However, some clinicians find the results less reliable than surgery.
- Mesotherapy – this injects enzymes, vitamins, and hormones to tighten skin, and can also be used to remove fat.
- Coolsculpting – unlike Kybella and ultrasonic cavitation, Coolsculpting freezes rather than dissolves fat cells.
- High intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) – often referred to by the brand names Ultraformer and Ulthera, HIFU targets the deep layers of the epidermis using ultrasound technology. This helps regenerate collagen and skin cells, resulting in improved skin elasticity.
Did you know...?
- According to the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, nearly 70 per cent of people in the USA have a double chin at any one time.
- The lack of skin elasticity is often to blame for a double chin. This can be the result of anything from smoking to genetic factors.
*Terms and conditions: The gift card should be used before the end of the card validity period (which shall occur 12 months counted as from the date of purchase). Upon the expiry date, the gift card will become invalid for use. The gift card can be used for any treatment including special offers and with any clinic listed on selfologi.com. If the value of the treatment is less than the gift card value you will loose the remaining balance. The gift card cannot be spread across multiple bookings, cannot be combined with other promo codes, and cannot be redeemed for cash.