The Botox lip flip journey - everything you need to know
Lip fillers, are everywhere right now. To the point where anyone with a full pout – even a natural one – is under suspicion of having one. But a new, more natural trend in lip augmentation has emerged. The Botox lip flip.
More than 63 million people have watched TikToks with the #LipFlip hashtag already. The non-surgical treatment’s popularity owes a lot to how quick it is – it can be done in ten minutes – and its natural-looking results.
But is it really goodbye fillers and hello lip flips?
In short, no. Botox lip flips are not fillers, and they will not make your lips bigger like fillers do. But what they will do is make your lips appear bigger and, for some, that’s good enough.
Find a clinic or practitioner near you and enjoy a risk-free booking process thanks to free in-clinic consultations and the option to pay in-clinic. Also, you can now split the cost of your treatment into four equal, interest-free instalments using Tabby.
In this article:
Duration of results
3 to 4 months
Back to work
Full recovery time
No recovery time
Optional pain relief
Botox lip flip - the basics
By injecting Botox into your lip line, the muscles are relaxed, stopping the upper lip from being pulled too high and disappearing when you smile. The relaxing of the muscle causes the top lip to ‘flip up’ for a fuller appearance.
It gives the illusion of a fuller pout, making the most of your existing upper lip volume to create a subtle change to the appearance.
It’s a great solution if your lip curls under when you smile showing more gum than you’d like, or if your upper lip appears thinner that it is.
Lip flips also have the added benefit of temporarily reducing fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth – win, win.
Indeed, your practitioner can personalise the treatment to suit your needs. If your main concern is thin-looking lips, you can have the Botox injected in your orbicularis oris muscle. If you want to rectify a gummy smile, it can be injected directly in the elevator muscle.
But what exactly can you expect on your lip flip journey?
Getting a fuller picture
Botox for your lips can be applied in minutes by a trained professional, and there isn’t the same need for an in-depth consultation as there is with other procedures. Often, you can have the treatment within the same appointment as the consultation.
It only takes two to four injections, typically applied along your upper lip on the cupid’s bow and the two top corners of your mouth.
Around 10 minutes later, you’ll be good to go, and it’s this kind of convenience that is making lip flips increasingly popular.
Botox lips before and after – is it worth it?
Botox lip flip results can take up to 10 days to fully develop but you’ll see how the treatment transforms your smile before then. Like Botox for other reasons, you’ll need to go back every three to four months, but with such quick sessions and no downtime, it won’t take too much time out of your schedule.
Putting your money where your mouth is?
Botox lip flips are appearing on more and more aesthetic treatment lists across the globe, with prices per unit typically starting from just 40 AED.
The average lip flip procedure requires around 10 units of Botox, but this can vary depending on your doctor’s preferences and your own personal end-goal.
This brings the total starting cost to around 400 AED for one session.
Botox lip flip vs fillers
If you want bigger lips, and not just the illusion of them, you will have to get fillers. And the treatment is often paired with a lip flip for optimum results.
But how do the two compare against each other?
- Goals – Botox lip flips offer quite subtle results, while lip fillers can plump and build extra volume – a great solution for those with thin lips.
- Time – Both procedures can fit in your lunch break, but lip flips tend to be slightly quicker at around 10 minutes. Lip filler appointments usually last up to 30 minutes.
- Speed – While lip flips might take between four and seven days to take effect, lip fillers can offer instant results – though there may be some initial swelling.
- Recovery – With a lip filler procedure you might need a bit of downtime afterwards – usually 48 hours without strenuous activity. After a lip flip you shouldn’t require any rest.
- Side-effects – Swelling, bumps and bruising are more likely to occur with lip fillers than lip flips, but both procedures have these as potential side-effects.
- Price – Lip fillers normally cost more than a Botox lip flip, with prices ranging between 1,000 AED and 2,000 AED.
- Results – That said, while the prices for fillers are higher, the results usually last longer – sometimes even up to a year.
For the right candidate, lip flips can be considered a really attractive steppingstone in your lip augmentation journey. If you have a thin top lip, Botox can help create a natural, fuller-looking pout without adding volume. Then, if you like the look and want it to last longer, you can always make the jump to fillers.
- Try to steer clear of any blood thinners – such as aspirin – in the days before and after your lip flip. This can help reduce swelling.
- You should also avoid rubbing or massaging your lips, as this sometimes causes the Botox to move out of place. That means no facials, unfortunately.
- It’s best to sleep on your back following the procedure, but it can be hard for some people to lie in this position. Try using a memory foam pillow to support your head and neck, plus thin cushions under your knees and lower back to fit the natural curve of your spine.
Did you know...?
- Injectable lip fillers have been around since the early 19th-century, when they were used to reconstruct lip deformities caused by tuberculosis.
- For natural-looking lips, most doctors recommend you follow the golden ratio for upper to lower lip size, which is 1:1.6 – inspired by Leonardo Da Vinci.
- Botox treatments have long reigned as the most popular non-surgical procedure, with more than 6.2 million treatments globally in 2019. Hyaluronic fillers follow close behind in second place, with around 4.3 million procedures.
*Terms and conditions: The gift card should be used before the end of the card validity period (which shall occur 12 months counted as from the date of purchase). Upon the expiry date, the gift card will become invalid for use. The gift card can be used for any treatment including special offers and with any clinic listed on selfologi.com. If the value of the treatment is less than the gift card value you will loose the remaining balance. The gift card cannot be spread across multiple bookings, cannot be combined with other promo codes, and cannot be redeemed for cash.